Transfer Students & Transfer Credit

Dunwoody welcomes students who have completed prior coursework from an accredited institution. If you'd like to transfer into one of our certificate or degree programs, please note that a transfer evaluation is required and not all credits may transfer into the degree program.

Transferring in Credits and/or Experience

There are two primary categories of which a student may satisfy program requirements through prior learning. Traditional college- transfer of courses or through alternative methods such as test-out or prior learning experience.

Traditional Transfer Credit

Dunwoody may accept course credits from other regionally or nationally accredited higher education institutions. Only course work earned at the institution issuing the official transcript will be evaluated. Courses will be considered for transfer if the course is comparable in nature, content, and level to a course offered by Dunwoody. A minimum letter grade of "C" or better or a "P" grade is required for transfer. Upper division credit transfer can only be accepted if courses were in upper division at the previous institution. Transfer evaluations done by other institutions are not accepted. 

Experiential Learning such as study abroad, independent study, workshops, field experience, and internships may or may not transfer, depending on the level and the comparability of the learning experience.

In order to be awarded a degree from Dunwoody College of Technology, a student must take at a minimum 45% of the total technical credits (major requirements) for their major field of study at Dunwoody. Total technical credits transferred in a student’s major field cannot exceed 55% of those required for the major. Courses transferred in should reflect the attainment of lower level technical competencies while higher level competencies should be attained at Dunwoody.

The Registrar’s Office evaluates official transcripts for potential transfer credits. Students may be asked to provide a syllabus listing the course description and competencies of coursework.


Students may send official transcripts from all previously attended colleges to:

Dunwoody College of Technology
ATTN: Admissions
818 Dunwoody Blvd.
Minneapolis, MN 55403

Students will be notified of their evaluation via their Dunwoody email address. Students may view the transfer credits on their Academic Plan and Dunwoody transcript at my.dunwoody. Transfer courses will have a grade of TR. Transfer credits will not be computed into cumulative GPA; however, they will impact student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress pace for completion.

If students wish to appeal the evaluation, please contact the Registrar’s Office by email at or by phone at 612-381-3360.

For more information on transfers and transfer evaluations, visit:

Transferring Credits to Another School

Dunwoody’s regional accreditation facilitates acceptance and transfer of credits to another college or university. Final decisions concerning the acceptance of credits by other institutions; however, are made at the discretion of the receiving institution.

Some of Dunwoody's bachelor's degree programs have specific admissions requirements for transfer students. These are: 

Architecture (BARCH)

  • Dunwoody's Bachelor of Architecture has articulation agreements with many institutions. See if your previous College is one of them. Students earning an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree in architectural studies (or equivalent) are eligible for a block transfer.
    • Diploma, Certificate, or credits earned toward a degree in architecture will be evaluated on an individual basis
  • Official transcript evaluation

Business Management & Leadership (AMGT)

  • Earned an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree (or equivalent)
  • Be able to provide a resume and letter of recommendation
  • Access to the internet as all classes are delivered in a distance learning modality 

Computer Systems Analysis (BCSA)

  • Completion of an AAS degree in an Information Technology (IT)-related program
  • Approval from academic program director

Construction Management (CMGT)

  • Completion of an AAS degree or equivalent coursework from an accredited institution
  • Interview with a principal instructor of academic program manager

Electrical Engineering (EENG)

  • 3.0 or higher overall college GPA
  • Completion of mathematics coursework through Pre-calculus

Industrial Engineering Technology (IENG)

  • Completion of an AAS degree in Robotics or Manufacturing
  • 45 technical credits at the lower division level
  • 20 general education elective credits at the lower division level, in the following categories:
    • Math/Natural Sciences (minimum of 2 credits)
    • Communications (minimum of 2 credits)
    • Humanities (minimum of 2 credits)
    • Social Sciences (minimum of 2 credits)
    • General Electives (minimum of 12 credits)
  • 3.0 or higher overall college GPA
    • Note: Students with a GPA between 2.5 - 2.9 are eligible to start in Industrial Engineering Technology (IENG), but must achieve a GPA of 3.0 upon completion of the first 9 credits of IENG technical coursework (i.e., any courses that start with 'IENG'). 

Mechanical Engineering (MENG)

  • 3.0 or higher overall college GPA
  • Completion of mathematics coursework through Calculus II

Software Engineering (SENG)

  • 3.0 or higher overall college GPA

Some Dunwoody programs are considered competitive for enrollment. These programs have specific requirements for transfer. Transfer credits are granted at the discretion of the Registrar's Office and academic program manager/dean.

Radiologic Technology

The following courses are not eligible for transfer to the program: Anatomy, Physiology I & II, Human Disease, and all technical credits.


Math courses taken within the past 5 years will be reviewed. Students can request a review for specific mathematic courses taken outside of the last 5 years for content relevancy.

Computer Technology Programs

Software-specific classes completed within the past 5 years will be reviewed for transfer credit.

Automotive Programs

Technical transfer credits for any of the Automotive Programs, from a non- Automotive Service Excellence Education Foundation (ASE) accredited Post-Secondary Automotive program will not be accepted.

Technical transfer credits for any of the Automotive Programs, from an Automotive Service Excellence Education Foundation (ASE) accredited Post-Secondary Automotive program will be reviewed on a case by case basis given the following criteria; Minimum grade for transfer coursework is a grade of B. Course work must have been completed within the last 5 years. Experiential Learning credits, such as field experience, or internships will not be accepted.

Testing Out of any technical courses within the Automotive Program will not be allowed.

School of Engineering 

For students to receive credit for Calculus Based Physics, only math and science components completed within the last 5 years will be reviewed for transfer credit.

Introduction to Engineering cannot be fulfilled by transfer for students entering the Industrial Engineering Technology program.

Completion Degrees

General Requirements

  • Technical requirements will be reviewed by Dunwoody faculty for the application of a block transfer of credits.
  • Cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or higher will be considered for the block transfer.
  • The general education course(s) under consideration must be comparable in nature, content and level to a course offered by Dunwoody.
  • Specific technical or mathematic courses taken outside of the last 5 years will be reviewed for content relevancy.
  • Experiential Learning such as study abroad, independent study, workshops, field experience, and internships may or may not transfer, depending on the level and the comparability of the learning experience.
  • Lower division credits may transfer as upper division if the course content and rigor is comparable and allows the student to meet the upper-division degree requirements.

Bachelor of Architecture

  • Bulk transfer of up to 45 lower division technical credits

Bachelor of Science in Construction Management

  • Bulk transfer of up to 38 lower division technical credits
  • Specific Review for prerequisite credits allows for 6 additional transfer credits for Estimating, Scheduling, Building Codes

Enrolling at Another Institution as a Dunwoody Student

Students may enroll in classes at another institution while enrolled in a program at Dunwoody. If a student wishes to transfer completed credits to Dunwoody, they must submit a Permission to Transfer Credit form to the Registrar’s Office prior to registering for the course. The Registrar’s Office will determine whether a course is transferrable or not. Students must submit official transcripts to the Registrar’s Office upon completion of the course, and the Registrar’s Office will then evaluate and transfer in any applicable credits.

International Transcripts

International transcript evaluation follows all previous requirements as well as the below requirements:

  • The institution at which the student earned course credit and the course for which transfer is under consideration must be reviewed and approved by an international credential evaluator such as World Education Services (WES) and Educational Credential Evaluators Inc. (ECE)
  • The evaluation is done at the student’s expense.
  • The student must obtain and furnish to the College an official evaluation (course-by-course report) completed by the international credential evaluator.

Military Service Credit

Courses completed during military service, with American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations, may be eligible for transfer credit. Veteran and military students may provide an official transcript for evaluation. Transcripts can be requested from the below websites:

Credit by Examination

Dunwoody may accept credits by examination to fulfill course requirements. The following types of exams may be reviewed:

  • Advanced Placement Testing (AP)
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) 
  • American College Testing Program (ACT)
  • Practical Engagement Program (PEP)
  • DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST)
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

Credits may be accepted based on the following conditions:

  • Credit will not be given in courses that are equivalent to credits already granted (i.e. if the student has credit for a communications course, he/she may not receive credit for any communication or equivalent tests).
  • Students cannot use CLEP tests to substitute for a course taken at Dunwoody that resulted in a failed grade.
  • A maximum of 18 semester credits may be obtained through CLEP Testing. These credits will show up on the student’s transcript as CR and will not count in the calculation of the student’s GPA but will impact student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress pace for completion.

Students must complete CLEP testing at an official test center. Official test centers may be found by going to

Once the student completes the test, he/she must supply Dunwoody with score verification (this can be done through the CLEP testing agency), verifying successful completion. In order to receive credit for the test, the student must have a score of 50 or higher (scaled score value). 

Credit for Previous Training or Experience

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is college level-credit given for prior learning and based on work and/or life experience. Competencies are evaluated based on the recommendation of the American Council on Education (ACE) and National Program on Non-Colligate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI).

This learning/experience can come from prior formal education, examination, and practical experience. The focus on PLA is to evaluate the competencies gained by the student and is not credit given simply for experience. Dunwoody uses PLA criteria developed by The Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL), which identifies PLA as being:

  • Measurable
  • College level in terms of learning and achievement (as defined by faculty)
  • Able to show a knowledge base
  • Current and relevant
  • Able to show theoretical and/or conceptual knowledge, in addition to practical knowledge and understanding
  • Not repeating or duplicating learning for which credit has already been given CAEL guidelines recognize the granting of credit at several levels:
    • Program level (i.e. general business, management concepts)
    • Individual course level (as identified by competency attainment stated in course syllabi and descriptions)

PLA must meet the following standards (Whitiker, 2006):

  • Credit will be awarded only for learning and not for experience
  • College credit will be awarded only for college-level learning 
  • Credit will be awarded for learning that has a balance appropriate to the subject, between theory and practical application
  • Subject matter/academic experts will make competence levels and credit awards
  • Credit will be appropriate to the academic context in which it is accepted
  • Credit awards and transcript entries will be monitored to avoid duplicating credit
  • Fees charged for assessment are based on services, not on credits
  • Personnel involved in assessment will be adequately trained 
  • Assessment programs will be monitored, reviewed, evaluated, and approved PLA may be accessed through:
    • Examination
    • Competency demonstration
    • Institutional assessment

Test Out of Math Courses

Students have the opportunity to test out of some of the math classes in their academic plan. Students are allowed one attempt to pass the test out exam with an 83% or better test score. Students who are registered for a math course and considering the test out option should note, they must drop the math class within the first 5 days of the semester or incur the full tuition for the class. Students are encouraged to work with their faculty advisor to determine their readiness and appropriate time to attempt the test out as math courses can be prerequisites for other courses on the academic plan. 

  • If the student, in consultation with their faculty advisor, assessed that they have the math exposure to test out, the student should e-mail Eeris Fritz including the course number and name. Eeris will provide a review and guide them through the test out process.